loop-AES vs cryptoloop

I cannot seem to find any information on which is better. All I want is a good AES encrypt of my HD with at little overhead as possible. My Gentoo Linux OS natively runs the cryptoloop patch and so can use it without modification. To use loop-AES is a little more effort.

Secondly. If I would like to encrypt an existing file system (ext3) can I go about it as such:

/dev/hdb1 is filled with data on ext3 fs and is currently not mounted.

losetup -e aes256 /dev/loop1 /dev/hdb1
password: passwordhere

dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/dev/loop1 bs=64k conv=notrun

I am not sure what the dd does, but it seems to do the encryption of the filesystem. Is this correct?

Best regards
Stian B. Barmen
?
IT-sjef
Oslo IT-Opplæring AS
http://www.it-akademiet.no

tlf: +47 23 37 70 22
mob: +47 932 42 123
sentral: +47 23 37 70 00
fax: +47 23 37 70 69
e-mail + messenger: stian.barmen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Barmen;Stian
FN:Stian B. Barmen
ORG:IT Akademiet Oslo;Oslo
TITLE:IT-sjef
TEL;WORK;VOICE:93242123
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+47 932 42 123
ADR;WORK:;Brynsveien 3 B - Oslo;Brynsveien 3b;Oslo;Norway;0667;Norway
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Brynsveien 3 B - Oslo=0D=0ABrynsveien 3b=0D=0AOslo, Norway 0667=0D=0ANorway
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:stian.barmen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
REV:20030320T122447Z
END:VCARD