Re: Wiping Swap Partitions

Rob McGee wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 02:16:32PM -0500, Anonymous wrote:
> > Is that work with kernelI (with losetup and mount) patch?
>
> Yes, more or less. I posted my swap encryption scripts in an offtopic
> thread on alt.os.linux.slackware some time back.
>   http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=slrnaqh3lc.ef0.rob0%40linuxbox.stpaultel.com
> I also brought it up on this list in 2001-September.
>
> Both Jari and HVR recommend against using cryptoapi (kerneli) for swap.

I don't remember saying that, at least not for any recent version of
cryptoapi. And I doubt HVR would say that either. Non-prealloc versions of
loop are unsuitable for encrypted swap. loop-AES and kerneli.org's loop-jari
have preallocated pages for device backed loops.

Kerneli.org's loop-jari is a copy of old and buggy version of loop-AES' loop
code. Last time I checked, loop-jari had nasty 'process stuck in D state'
bug still present. That bug is fixed in loop-AES-v1.7b and later versions.
v1.7b was released in January 2003.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@xxxxxxxxxx>

-