Re: Wiping Swap Partitions

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 02:16:32PM -0500, Anonymous wrote:
> > If you are using loop-AES, just set up encrypted swap like this:
> > [snip]
>
> Is that work with kernelI (with losetup and mount) patch?

Yes, more or less. I posted my swap encryption scripts in an offtopic
thread on alt.os.linux.slackware some time back.
  http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=slrnaqh3lc.ef0.rob0%40linuxbox.stpaultel.com
I also brought it up on this list in 2001-September.

Both Jari and HVR recommend against using cryptoapi (kerneli) for swap.
But after all this time I can definitively say "it works for me". I have
over 6 months' uptime with significant swap usage on a P166. My
shutdowns in the time since working out the bugs have not been
attributable to swap problems. I believe I've seen it up over 100MB of
swap usage on 128MB physical RAM. The kernel is 2.4.17 plus the kerneli
patch and Jari's loop patch.

> Any kernel Int cipher may be selected?

Yes.

    Rob - /dev/rob0