Encrypted root enhancement suggestion

Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 07:42:37 +0000

Hi, does placing a seed into the initrg.gz file mean that the only
way to read off this drive, is to boot off it?  I ask because i'd
like to make it necessary to boot the hard drive and possibly allow
for the inclusion of  "safty traps".  There's nothing that can be
done if the disk is simply mounted in another PC readonly.

The bootup password prompt could accept a few different passwords.
If forced, the user gives up a "safety trap" password.  This password
appears to de-crypt fine so the user is off the hook, however this
password has been setup to run a different bootup script.  Possible
implementations could allow mounting a crafted fake root, or perhaps
simply running a "rm -rf" script.  I think something like this would
greatly improve the security of an encrypted hard drive solution.

Secondly,  I'm not sure if the seed is easily recoverable from the
initrd.gz, i imagine its probably plain (binary) text?  Perhaps we
could take the same approach as an ssh connection where an initial
encrypted session is engaged before the real encrypted session is
initiated.

At the moment i have an RC script that echo's my password to losetup,
as long as my system is on its susceptible to unrelated rooting
exploits that could expose my precious encryption password ( or
private key )

Brad.

Find din ferie på MSN Rejser http://www.msn.dk/rejser

-