Re: 2.4.18 + cryptoloop

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 10:56:30PM +0100, Clemens Resanka wrote:
> How do I install cryptoapi on a 2.4.18 kernel with cryptoloop support?
>
> First I tried
>
> tar xjf cryptoapi-0.1.0.tar.bz2
> cd cryptoapi-0.1.0
> make patch-kernel KDIR=/usr/src/linux LOOP=iv
> (btw: the doc states patchkernel - should be patch-kernel)
> -> no cryptoloop config in menuconfig
> recompiled kernel anyway.
> losetup -e twofish /dev/loop0 cryptofile
> asks for a password but then claims that there is no cipher loaded
> (although it is!)
> ---
> The cipher does not exist, or a cipher module needs to be loaded into the kernel
> ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
> ---

I'm looking into this problem. It's something that has
crept into the cryptoapi build in the last year; the older
patch sets give no problem. Your problem occurs across
2.4.18,19 and 20 that I have tested and has existed
since mid-August 2002.

It may work if you do it as loadable modules, which is
fine for those who can afford the insecurity of loadable
modules. It's temporarily broken for my needs though.

I presume you are using either a debian util-linux or
have patched and built one yourself. (or have util-linux
from a dist that pre-patches: I don't know if anyone
other than Debian do this.)

I've been too busy to attack this: I've just stuck with
the older patches... but I'm looking into it on the
developer list now as it has not been fixed six months
on.

       IN MY NAME:            Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  No Mushroom clouds over     Islandone Society
    London and New York.      www.islandone.org
-