Re: Loop-AES on SMP machine

Michael Zhu wrote:
>  --- Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi> wrote: >
> > What version of loop-AES are you using?
> >
> The loop-AES version is 1.5b

Try version loop-AES-v1.7b

> > What is the size of loop device?
> >
> It is 54GB

A mkfs on 54 GB partition is going to take a while. How long did you wait
until you gave up?

> > If I have make a wild guess about your problem, my
> > guess is that you have
> > managed to compile the driver for kernel
> > configuration that does not match
> > your running kernel configuration.
> >
> I just compiled the loop device under the Linux
> machine  whose version is 2.4.18. Do I need to any
> other configuration?

You need kernel .config that matches your running kernel exactly (like
Jan-Benedict Glaw said earlier). And kernel source tree must be in fully
compiled form, as in after:

    make distclean
    cp /someplace/yourconfig-2.4.18.config .config
    make oldconfig
    make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules

And then compile loop-AES like this:

    cd ../loop-AES-v1.7b
    make LINUX_SOURCE=/path/to/your/kernel/source

Just running "make oldconfig && make dep" is NOT enough. I have tried that.
Got burned. Trust me on this one.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-