Re: loopAES mount defaults

Regis Smith wrote:
> For a loopAES encrypted filesystem I use the following line in my
> /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/hdx /crypt ext3 defaults,noauto,loop,encryption=AES128,user 0 0
                                                              ^^^^
This 'user' option is the cause of the problem.

> However, when I mount this via 'mount /crypt', it has the following
> properties, according to the mount command:
>
> /dev/hdx on /crypt type ext3
> (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,loop=/dev/loop0,encryption=AES128,user=rsmith)
>
> So apparently the mount command (from util-linux version "y", patched
> with the diff from loopAES version "i") ignores the "defaults" option,
> and indeed, when I give the "exec" option explicitly in fstab, it is
> still ignored.  However, when I mount without using fstab like this:
>
> mount -o encrytion=AES128,loop=/dev/loop0 /dev/hdx /crypt
>
> the defaults are actually respected.
>
> Am I doing something silly?  Is there a way to get the defaults when
> mounting via fstab?

mount man page says this for 'user' option:

              user   Allow  an  ordinary  user  to mount the file
                     system.  The name of the  mounting  user  is
                     written  to  mtab so that he can unmount the
                     file system again.  This option implies  the
                     options  noexec,  nosuid,  and nodev (unless
                     overridden by subsequent options, as in  the
                     option line user,exec,dev,suid).

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-