Re: A new idea.....

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:05:04PM -0800, Tener, Stuart B., IT3 , USNR-R wrote:
> Crypto listmembers:
>
> 	Has anyone thought about the idea of taking the encryption code
> from loop-aes and making a standardized set of calls out of it and
> packaging it as a loadable module?

Modules are good for convenience, but making them statically linkable as
well would be necessary for some users since they will want to raise the
bar for anyone attacking their system.  It is easier to attack a system
and unload the crypto module and load in a dummy module in its place
than it is to compile a new kernel and reboot without being noticed.

> 	If this could be done, the system calls could be used by any
> software and distributed independent of the Linux kernel, and be
> standardized for an inordinate number of uses, no?

Yes, but by now, that all seems moot since jamesm, davem and alexey have
put it into the main kernel tree.

> 	I am just learning about adding system calls to Linux via
> loadable modules, so its why I am asking this question. I have not read
> the loop-aes code extensively so I do not know if this is technically
> feasible absent an overtly difficult rewrite of the code.
>

> Very Respectfully,
>
> Stuart Blake Tener, IT3 (E-4), USNR-R, N3GWG
> Beverly Hills, California
> Ship Augmentation Unit (SAU)
> stuart@bh90210.net
> west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
> east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859
>
> Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
> free!)
>
> JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.
>
> Monday, October 28, 2002 6:57 PM
>

> -
> Linux-crypto:  cryptography in and on the Linux system
> Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs           --    ~\                 Auto-Free Ottawa! Canada
<www.TriColour.net>            --    \@       @           <www.flora.org/afo/>