Re: A new idea.....

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:23:35AM +0100, Alessandro Bottoni wrote:
[you wrote what you wrote...]

I think Stuart meant that it would be nice to have an OS-independent API
for encrypted file systems (and partitions, and media?). Such an API
would refer to the already established cyptography and FS standards,
providing a cosy application development environment. Moreover, one will
be able, in two lines of Python code, to write a partition re-encrypter
(to change master keys), an `fsck` wrapper (to run on encrypted
volumes), or a multi-computer key cracker. One will be able to prepare
one's encrypted floppies and CD-RWs on the office's computer and read
them on home's Linux box using _the same software_. Right?

Even for Linux there are the CryptoAPI, the LoopAES and some older
_implementations_ (I don't know of any RFCs). Bearing this diversity in
mind, I think creating an OS-wide standard is not developers' the task
at hand, but may be an independent group could help saving the order in
the world?

Best watches,
--
Pav
                                 ,.,

`shell$ gpg --keyserver x-hkp://search.keyserver.net:11371 --recv-key 164C028F`