Re: CryptoAPI, loop-AES, Ext3, Wi-Fi and AES256

Bradley Jenkins wrote:
> A few questions about the glorious loop-AES :)
>
> 1. Is there a tip jar?

Nope.

> 2. Will my old Ext3->Loop->Ext3->Device CryptoAPI backup survive if i mount
> it as read only? is it dependible enough for me to Gutmann (erase the hell)
> out of the origionals? I've Md5'd the contents and their fine ATM

loop-AES is compatible with 512-byte-IV-cryptoapi versions as long as you
use "-o phash=rmd160" mount option, or "-H rmd160" losetup option.

> 3. Can Wi-Fi or general network traffic be put in a loop-AES? IE point the
> loop to /dev/eth0 and make sure the others pc's are doing the same?

No, loop can only be used with block device or regular file.

> 4. I've replaced all instances of AES128 with AES256, it hasn't complained,
> i assume this is the way to use a 256k key?  Does anyone know what kind of
> data overhead the keysize makes?

AES256 offers about 72% to 73% of AES128 performance on my tests. Usually
limiting factor is disk data transfer speed, so AES128 just consumes less
CPU cycles at same megabytes/second data transfer speed.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>

-