cryptoloop vs loop-aes

I've got cryptoAPI and cryptoloop-0.0.1-pre1 running nicely (albeit ext3 on
ext3)  I've just found out about loop-aes and was relieved to see a higher
version number :)  I am wondering though  why cryptoloop was written when
loop-aes has been around soo long?  does it do somthing more that loop-aes
cannot?

Also wondering if anyone knew of a good GNU hdd cleaning tool, other than a
sledge hammer :)

Brad.

-