newbie has some questions

There really is a lot of information about crypto in Linux - enough to utterly
confuse me.

My goal: being able to create a container file of arbitrary size crypted with
AES which I can mount like any other disk/partition and so on.
Problem: with only 1 year Linux experience I tend to describe myself as a
newbie.

I can aplly a patch to kernel src, ok.
I can create a container file, create a filesystem on it and mount it, ok.

As far as I understand, I need:

-the kernel patch providing me with AES support
-a patched version of util-linux

Is that it? Or am I missing something?

Is there a newbie-friendly HOWTO? The ones I found are rather for the more
sophisticated users.

Dex
-