RE: Scramdisk for Linux!

Hello Stuart.  Please see comments "in text" below:

Regards,

Sam Simpson
sam@samsimpson.com
http://www.samsimpson.com/
Mob:          +44 (0) 7866 726060
Home Office:  +44 (0) 1438 229390
Fax:          +44 (0) 1438 726069

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Tener, Stuart B., IT3 , USNR-R wrote:

> Dear Mr. Simpson:
>
> 	What is the difference between scramdisk and drivecrypt?

DC is a spin-off from SD.  You need DC if you want XP support, or newer
ciphers and hash functions etc.

DC is totally closed source, SD has source available but the license
prevents futuredevelopment by third parties.  It's also unmaintained.

> It
> appears as I read it, that drivecrypt is replacing scramdisk, no?

Yeah, kind of - but SD is still available
(www.samsimpson.com/scramdisk.php ).

> 	Is drivecrypt GPL?

Nope - the source isn't released at all.

> 	Does drivecrypt work on both Linux and Windows?

Nope: Windows only.

BUT we expect to be able to implement DC access in Scramdisk 4 Linux.

> 	For me while loop-aes has been a wonderful way to do encryption
> under Linux, however the major failing it has is a lack of a Windows
> port. Since I have situations where I need compatible encryption between
> both. Loop-aes is a very good product, but as I said nobody was ever
> able to make it work with Windows. When do you think scramdisk or
> drivecrypt will be available to work with in a usable release?

It's not far off now, but we need community support to get to the final
bits done for a v0.1 release.

> 	If "container" files are used, will they be readable under both
> Linux as well as Windows?

Yes, certainly.  It's possible already to mount a Scramdisk container
under Linux.

I can see no good reason why the Linux port wouldn't also support WAV
steganography and partitions, the same way the Windows version does.

Rgds,

Sam

-