Re: new article/howto for cryptoapi

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 11:37:59AM -0600, mutex wrote:
> Ok, so here is my howto/article about installing and using the CryptoAPI
> for loopback encryption.  It was originally written article style, to be

An item to discuss: in the HowTo you write the original file:

	dd /dev/urandom ....

I usually use a /dev/zero here, and then after a losetup write the
new file system with another dd. Sometimes I use the /dev/urandom
here if I feel particularly like getting more mixing, but otherwise
another 'dd /dev/zero ...' should be nearly as good since the zeroes
are being encrypted at this point, so the file externally will look
as random as the actual encryption algorithm allows.

This has been discussed here a number of times previously and
is my current understanding of best practice.

Comments?

-