Re: Encrypting root partition

Perhaps I phrased the question incorrectly, and should have rather tried to
explain my problem to see if there is a better solution available.  My goal
is to create a fully self-contained Linux system on a flash disk that can be
distributed.  However, I don't want someone to be able to copy the flash
disk onto another medium.  Which is why I turned to encryption as a possible
solution.  I've got specific needs and reasons to want to accomplish this,
so I'm hoping no one starts to debate the issue of distributing an encrypted
Linux system.  The question, however, is how can I accomplish this?

The system is a self-contained, automated black box, which requires no user
access.  Any access the user needs will be done over a TTYS for specific
configuration issues.  That way, I can completely disable login shells and
any other such access to the machine.  How do I prevent someone from putting
the flash card into another installation of Linux and copying it off though?

I'm not worried about the machine being stolen.  I'm more
concerned with someone copying the info off the drive.  Since this is an
autonomous machine, there is no login prompts, or any other ways that a user
can actually get to a prompt.  (the only reason I even keep the shell is to
run some scripts...).  My concern is that someone is able to through this
disk into another machine and get to all my stuff....

I was considering that using the MAC address but then that would require
building each disk for each computer independently....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric