Encrypting root partition

Hi,

Is there anyway to securely encrypt the root partition such that if the disk
is removed from the machine, that the disk will not be able to be decrypted?
I'd like to encrypt the root partition, but unless I manually enter the
password by hand upon every boot, I don't see what would stop someone from
removing the HD from my machine, mounting it in another, and having access
to all the data...  I want to create an autonomous machine, which can reboot
by itself if it ever goes down.  But I don't want to have to enter a
password manually.

Am I missing something here?  Is there any way to securely encrypt the root
partition?

On NT/2000/XP, for example, each NTFS volume is mapped to a particular root
user id.  Which means that even if the drive is put in another PC, root on
another PC still won't have access to it.  The ext2 filesystem, as far as I
can tell, doesn't have that security - if the drive is moved to another
system, root gets full access.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric