Re: bruteforcing question

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 20:43, Newsmail wrote:
> Hi, I would like to ask a question that is maybe a dumb question, but I
> dont find an answer for it. I type mount /dev/hda1 to mount my encrypted
> filesystem. it asks for a password. If I fail to type the password, than it
> writes mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, or
> too many mounted file systems ... blablabla. that did took me 1 second. If
> it was a program it would take less than a second to type 1 password. so it
> somebody begins to make a brute force attack against my encrypted
> filesystem it wouldnt take him so much time no? what protects my filesystem
> agaoinst these type of brute for attacks? brute forcing against an ssh
> connection is quite hard because the sshd waits some seconds before
> allowing to type a password again. but at mounting time there is nothing
> like this.
> could somebody explain me this a bit?
> regards,
> greg
>

> -
> Linux-crypto:  cryptography in and on the Linux system
> Archive:       http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/

Read a book on cryptography.

Better still, work out how long your (randomly generated if it's any
good) password/phrase is, and work out how many goes it will take to
guess. If it's any good, that number will be very, very large indeed -
then work out long it will take to try that number of goes!

A delay does slow down a guessing attacker, but really it's a holdover
from the days of unix crypt passwords - a tradition really, and more
honoured in the breach IMNSHO.

	Stephen
--
Stephen Norris	  srn@fn.com.au