Re: [loop-aes] how to encrypt a block device

Jim MacBaine wrote:
> I came to the idea to encrypt my /home dir,
> which is on a separate filesystem. I already
> had a data dir encrypted with loop-aes and
> expirienced no problems with it. The procedure
> of copying the whole /home structure to some
> backup place, setting up the encrypted fs, and
> copying it back didn't osunt very pleasent to
> me.
>
> I thought, why not encrypt a block device by
> block. Why not create a loop device on top of
> my file system and copy block by block from
> the real device onto the loop device.
>
> I tried this with a floppy and the result
> seems very strange to me. I can mount the
> resulting loop device, but the files are missing
>
> Can anyone of you please explain what happens
> here? I have attached the exact procedure.

You should do "sync" before trying to mount the block device if you directly
wrote to same block device. It's a cache coherency issue on 2.4 kernels if I
remember correctly.

Also, use "bs=4096" or larger for better performance.

Regards,
Jari Ruusu <jari.ruusu@pp.inet.fi>
-