Re: journaling file systems

Hi Stuart,

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 16:37, IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> Mr. Clift:
>
> 	Yes, I most affermatively agree with that position. However, I
> was of the impression that legal barriers (not just in the US, but other
> countries as well) prevented such a scenario from being effective
> without a realistic degradation in the ability to import / export the
> Linus kernel to with such countries having such legal barriers with
> regard to import / export controls
> in place.

I was aware that some countries would have a problem with the kernel code
having the full cryptographic code in it.

Does anyone know of a definitive list of countries where it truly wouldn't be
acceptable these days?

> 	Now if you are saying that instead of having the actual
> cryptographic code in the kernel, but merely calls to advantage onesself
> of whatever they had loaded into memory in the way of crytographic code
> via a loadable module then this is indeed a superior methodology and I
> would support its implementation most immediately, though I am
> unfamiliar with the legal aspects of such a scenario or why Linus has
> not contemplated such a scenario in the past.

I wasn't suggesting merely having hooks.  Although there are arguments for
and against this, I think everyone most everyone agree's the best solution
possible would be to have the cryptoAPi softteare completely implemented and
available in the kernel.  As has also been mentioned many times, this would
not be acceptable in some countries.

Given this wasn't a barrier, I wonder what would stop CryptoAPI from being
included as part of the normal kernel?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

-