RE: loop-AES supported ciphers

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 14:23, IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R wrote:
> present the same level of crypto support (or maybe even more crypto
> choices than the i-patch) in terms of algorithms that the i-patch
> supports, then this is good!
just to make one thing clear: I have no problem at all w/ giving the
user more choice, as to which software to use; that's why I like
cryptoapi's variety of ciphers...

[..]

> 	Secondly, I must tell you I do not agree with this idea of
> "known bugs", if someone (or a corporation, like SuSE) knows there is a
> "known bug", or an imperfect implementation (i.e. with blowfish), they
> have a responsibility to fix it, and offer a transition path to correct
> it.
btw, that cryptoapi thing is more a 'known issue' than a 'known bug'

why? because a bug usually leads to loss of data or something different;
but since the patch-int was the only encryption package to read and
write such blowfish encrypted volumes there was no real need to change
that... or was there any established volume-encryption format, to which
compatibility would have been broken?
ok, the bug about it is, that on big-endian machines the on-disk format
is different... but as said in a mail before, this blowfish issue will
be resolved... i.e. by fixing the current, and providing a
compat-blowfish cipher...

> 	Not that all of these problems are the fault of the authors of
> the i-patch, clearly they all are not, but, since loop-aes fails to
> enact these issues, I see it as a clear advantage for the moment.
if you only need disk-encryption, then cryptoapi may be overkill... but
the projects using cryptoapi as their cipher-repository is growing...

[..]

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key