Re: loop-AES supported ciphers

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 19:11, Jari Ruusu wrote:
>> anyway, I can't help thinking that you're in the process of recreating
>> the international kernel patch....
> Cryptoapi does not support _my_ kernel of choice. If you care to examine
> headers of this message, you will notice that this message is sent using
> ultra stable 2.2.20aa1. This box goes down only when UPS batteries are about
> to run out of juice (and for maintenance... ZIP drive died yesterday, grrr).

> All 2.4 kernel versions prior to 2.4.17 died under my simple non-evil stress
> tests. And that was without any crypto. 2.4.17 was first 2.4 kernel that
> showed some signs of stability.
I guess we all remember, that the 2.4 series had quite a bad start...
before 2.4.4 the loopback device wasn't even usable, and would lead to
deadlocks...

> Herbert, if you are not going to support all maintained stable kernels
> (especially ultra stable ones and distro vendor versions), then I will
> support them... and do that without cryptoapi bloat.
well, 2.0 seems out of reach for the 'cryptoloop' filter; but 2.2

> > ps: ...are you aware of any data corruption problems with loop-AES in
> > combination with XFS on SMP boxes under high IO load? if I get the time,
> > I can try to recreate the issue with 2.4.18; it was present w/ 2.4.16
> > the last time I checked, and it affected both, loop-AES and patch-int...
> I am not aware of any problems with loop-AES. Like I said above, kernels
> prior to 2.4.17 were unstable in my tests.
well ok, I'll try to reproduce the corruption; the only problem is, that
I have to run a XFS-enabled kernel on my workstation, since the root
partition is XFS... (that's also the reason why I haven't been able to
do much work on 2.2 backporting, as I have no XFS for 2.2)...

>> btw, that's a known problem (see this mailing lists archives for more
>> details); when it was detected it was too late, thus left so, since it
>> would have broken existing encrypted volumes...

> I corrected the bug, but added a "bug-compatible" option so that existing
> cryptoapi-mutated disk images can be mounted (also had to add RIPE-MD160
> password hash for 100% compatibility).
btw, expect that future cryptoloop versions will use the non-'mutated'
cipher mode by default, since some network applications need the correct
variant...

regards,
--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key