Re: Recovering a loop-AES encrypted root partition

> On Friday 22 February 2002 10:41, Emil wrote:
> > If you didn't do any other operation on your partition (as you
> > said in your post) then ALL the data blocks are intact.

After you've "backup" your blocks with the above method you can
also try a much better recovery strategy:

losetup -e AES /dev/loop5 /dev/hda6
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop5

By formating your partition again (but through the loop) you won't
harm your partition anymore than you've already did because the
formating will write exactly the same blocks as it did the first time.

The advantage of this second format is that you will end up with a
mountable partition.

You may then use Midnight Commander compiled with the undel2fs support
and start undelete on /dev/loop5. This recovery will give you better
results because mc is able to reconstruct the files (but again without
file names, directory hierarchy or exact file size).

--
								Regards,
								Emil