Re: Recovering a loop-AES encrypted root partition

On 21 February 2002, Andreas Schreier <a_schreier@firemail.de> wrote:
> I have deleted a loop-AES encrypted root partition by
> entering this command:
> mkfs.ext2 /dev/hda6

> I haven't written any data on the partition. Is there a
> way to recover this partition?

Supposing you've used the same mkfs.ext2 command without any
parameters when you first formated the encrypted partition,
all superblocks and inode blocks are now scrambled because
they've been overwritten with the new format command (those
blocks have been written to the same offsets in the partition).

Since all inode information is gone the best you can do is
losetup -e AES /dev/loop5 /dev/hda6 and then manually extract
intact blocks from /dev/loop5 (using dd with skip= for example)

--
								Regards,
								Emil