RE: CryptoAPI problems

(Sorry for the last message, it doesn't wrap properly)

Hello,

Recently I started to experience a problem mounting encrypted loopback
filesystems, a problem very much like what Gabor Gludovatz has reported
on this list before. What happens is that mount gives me the following
error message when I run it on a loopback file:

EXT2-fs error (device loop(7,1)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 16 not in group (block 4162330020)!
EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
       or too many mounted file systems

This happened with files that I had burned on cd/rw media - therefor I'm
pretty sure the content of the files hasn't changed between the time where
it did work and now. After burning them I copied them over to my harddrive
again and tried to loopback them to make sure everything was still there.
This worked fine. However, after I moved to a different machine I started
to experience the abovementioned problem.

I've experienced this with 3 different files now, so it seems like file
corruption wouldn't be the problem. All these files were created using the
2.2.20 kernel with patch-int-2.2.18.3 applied. My system runs Debian, and
when I moved to a different machine, instead of using Sid I started using
Woody. The difference between the two is that Sid uses util-linux-2.11n4
whereas Woody has util-linux-2.11n2 - this seems to be the only package the
would relate to the problem. The difference between these two versions of
util-linux seems to be purely packaging-related, though. On both systems,
I used the same kernel-image package (namely, the one I had compiled myself).

The one thing I'm rather anxious to know is, is there still a way to retrieve
the contents of these files? Will switching to 512byte IV calculations do me
any good after I have formatted the filesystem and put data on it?

thanks in advance!
- - mailerror

>On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 14:07, Stephen.Thompson@bmwfin.com wrote:
>> I find that formatting it twice works.
>
>the reason of which btw has to do with soft blocksize;
>(which get's changed when you mount it the first time, and then stays
>that way when re-mkfs'ing...)
>
>I highly recommend to switch to 512byte IV calculation (which will
>become the default for the int. patch) in order to avoid such
>problems..
>
>regards,
>--
>Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
>Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key
>GnuPG Key Fingerprint: 7BB9 2D6C D485 CE64 4748  5F65 4981 E064 883F
>4142

The following message is Hushmail Advertising, boo! hiss!

Hush provide the worlds most secure, easy to use online applications - which solution is right for you?
HushMail Secure Email http://www.hushmail.com/
HushDrive Secure Online Storage http://www.hushmail.com/hushdrive/
Hush Business - security for your Business http://www.hush.com/
Hush Enterprise - Secure Solutions for your Enterprise http://www.hush.com/