Loop and cypher as modules

Hello,

I'm trying to use the linux-crypto system for mounting an aes-encrypted
filesystem on my debian (kernel 2.4.17) :

cryptoapi,cryptoloop and cipher-aes are all three built as loadable
modules, and I have to insert them manually. I don't even get an
"modprobe: Can't locate module..." error message that would let me make
the appropriate aliases (I've put the aliases provided in the HOWTO).

Have you got any idea ?

cheers,
--
henri