Freeze problems with C3 Ezra and longhaul

Hi,

I have been trying to tweak the settings of my old C3.
The mainboard is an Epia 800. The distribution is Debian stable
with binutils 2.18.1 (lenny) and a custom kernel.

I found 2 problems:
1) When I modprobe longhaul it takes a few minutes before the computer
   freezes. (It is used headless for a small server.)

   Did not see any differences in the governor used (ondemand,
   powersafe, performance or conservative).
   The freeze was seen as all activities over the network and
   the RS-232 port stopped (no logs nor error messages).

2) I tried to lower the CPU frequency by loading longhaul, using
   setting governor performance, lowering the CPU-speed from 798 to 665
   and unload the longhaul module.
   The new speed seems to be set OK, but the longhaul module can't
   be modprobed anymore after rmmod.

   Also the max and min settings sometimes seemed to be screwed up.
   (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/scaling_max_freq)

>From dmesg:
longhaul: VIA C3 'Ezra' [C5C] CPU detected.  Longhaul v1 supported.
longhaul: Using northbridge support.
Marking TSC unstable due to cpufreq changes
Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -83341093 ns)
 (and after rmmod)
longhaul: VIA C3 'Ezra' [C5C] CPU detected.  Longhaul v1 supported.
longhaul: Using northbridge support.
longhaul: Invalid (reserved) FSB!
~# modprobe longhaul
FATAL: Error inserting longhaul (/lib/modules/2.6.27.8/kernel/arch/\
x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/longhaul.ko): No such device

After disabling longhaul (rmmod) the pc runs stable without problems.
Even at a lower clockspeed.

I experienced the problems with:
2.6.25.10 (patched kernel, old and obsolete)
2.6.27.8 (patched kernel)
2.6.27.8 (vanilla)
2.6.27.10 (vanilla)

The problems seem to be unrelated to the applied extra kernelpatch
since the problem was still present with the latest stable vanilla
kernel (2.6.27.10 from kernel.org).

Searching the internet about freezes of the C3 yield solutions for
ancient kernels like the 2.6.16-kernel and older. I also saw one post
from Jean-Marc Spaggiari mentioning an 933MHz C3 Ezra which runs well.

Could someone point me where to start looking for a solution?

With regards,
Huub Reuver

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 7
model name      : VIA Ezra
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 800.022
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge mmx 3dnow
bogomips        : 1333.37
clflush size    : 32
power management:

Above you can see some information has been updated since cpuinfo would
usually report about 1600 bogomips for the 800 MHz C3.

Kernel settings:
#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=m
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=m

#
# CPUFreq processor drivers
#
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
# CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH is not set
# CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
# CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set
# CONFIG_X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE2 is not set