Re: [RFC] quorum module configuration bits

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 03:40:13PM +0000, Christine Caulfield wrote:

> >... and don't need proper quorum.
> >

> Sorry. What, in this context is "proper" quorum? and did VMS not
> have it then?

An expected_votes value the properly includes all possible votes.
(You could say join -X -e <ev> but that's begging the question.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe VMS has an explicit EXPECTED_VOTES
setting, which we obviously allow also.  I doubt anyone would argue that
setting that number directly would be less error prone than computing it
from a node list.

> >Has the list of nodes specifically in cluster.conf been a source of
> >mistakes and support calls over the years?  My belief is that a lack of a
> >node list would make the cluster more *difficult* to manage, not easier,
> >which is mainly why I think it should be there.  As I said before, where
> >do you look for a list of all the nodes that *should* be in your cluster
> >when you think there might be one or two missing?  On your whiteboard?
>
> Yes we do get calls about people misunderstanding cluster.conf,
> putting the wrong node name in there so that cman doesn't start or
> using the 'wrong' interface.

Right, but those problems would not go away without a list of nodes, in
fact they'd probably be much much worse since you'd then have to have a
different corosync.conf file on each node, each specifying different,
locally correct values.  I suspect the support call volume would explode.