Re: Wrong header version in libgmp

> On 10/06/2024 20:12 +07 Simon Sobisch <simonsobisch@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Am 10.06.2024 um 13:30 schrieb Colin Sare-Soar:
> > Hello All,
> > I'm a new user of GnuCobol - well, I hope to be if I can get it working.
>
> Hi and welcome to GnuCOBOL :-)
>
> > The main problem is the library versions of libgmp.
> > I first downloaded and extracted GnuCOBOL-3.2 and ran ../configure from
> > the build directory. This failed due to missing libgmp.
>
> The "common" way in nearly all environments is to install the matching
> package.
>  From DEPENDENCIES:

> These packages provide **compile-time** and **run-time** support. That
> is, they include C header files that are used during GnuCOBOL's C
> compilation phase, and dynamic libraries linked either to `libcob`, or
> to the compiled binary (the compiled version of your COBOL program).
> Packaging systems, particularly on Linux, sometimes include only the
> run-time components in the main package, and split the compile-time
> pieces off to a "development" package.
>
> You need both. Header files are required for compilation, and libraries
> for run-time support.
>
> If your operating system includes a package management system, we
> suggest you use it, rather than building the dependencies from source,
> unless you have specific needs.

Yes, I have apt but it doesn't find GnuCOBOL or GMP.

> For a common way to do this, see
> https://sourceforge.net/p/gnucobol/discussion/help/thread/7c6b048b95/
>
> This also lists the way to install a bunch of optional dependencies.

I will try here

> But of course building dependencies from scratch is also fine and can
> have additional benefits like newer versions and (in case of GMP)
> tweaking to your local machine for best performance.
>
> > I d/l GMP and tried to compile that. I ran configure, successfully and
> > then built it successfully but when I tried to run the tests (make
> > check) that failed 6 out of 8 tests all for the same reason, the wrong
> > header version.
>
> This seems to be more appropriate to send to the GMP mailing list
> "gmp-discuss" (https://gmplib.org/#MAILINGLISTS) and likely has an
> answer in its archive.

Already sent to the GMP bug list

> > Here is an extract from test-suite.log:
> >     GNU MP 6.3.0: tests/test-suite.log
> > # TOTAL: 8
> > # PASS:  2
> > # SKIP:  0
> > # XFAIL: 0
> > # FAIL:  6
> > # XPASS: 0
> > # ERROR: 0
> > .. contents:: :depth: 2
> > FAIL: t-bswap
> > =============
> > tests are not linked to the newly compiled library
> >    local version is: 6.3.0
> >    linked version is: 6.2.1
> > FAIL t-bswap (exit status: 134)
>
> ... for example
> https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2018-April/006227.html
> found via
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=local+version+site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fgmplib.org%2Flist-archives%2Fgmp-discuss%2F&ia=web
>
> Note: this normally should NOT happen when running the tests, so you
> possibly want to check with the mailing list why it does. But as you've
> installed this the question still arises independently with GnuCOBOL.
>
> > Nevertheless, the library did compile without any error messages.
> > Then I tried to configure GnuCOBOL-3.2 again and got this message:
> > configure:16179: result: no (header: 6.3 / library: 6.2.1)
> > configure:16181: error: in `/home/colins2/GnuCOBOL-src/gnucobol-3.2/build':
> > configure:16183: error: unable to use GMP
> > See `config.log' for more details (This extract is from config.log)
>
> The answer from the mailing list is one of the possible answers:
>
>  > What it most likely means is that you installed GMP in /usr/local,
> but that GMP is also installed somewhere else by the system.
>  > The solution is typically to make sure that LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes
> /usr/local/lib.  This will ensure that you get the version of GMP
> that you are expecting.

My system does include /usr/local/lib as I have built various things with imported, compiled libraries, GL. Vulkan, FLTK etc.

> But that was about the "runtime" part - you have this mismatch the other
> way around. To fix this with a default install path of /usr/local/lib
> (not sure where you've installed GMP to) is possibly to additionally
> pass LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib" to the
> configure command line (the header is already 6.3 so you've likely set
> -I /usr/local/include already).

GMP is installed to usr/local/lib

> > I have used COBOL on the past and actually did a course on it in '85 or
> > so. I had MF COBOL on CP/M and RM COBOL on DOS and had many headaches
> > getting my working code accepted on the college's MS COBOL platform! I
> > did write some applications for myself but sadly no longer have the
> > source code to reference.
> > I hope someone can help with the above problem as I can't get anywhere
> > just now. Both GnuCOBOL and GMP were downloaded today so should be the
> > latest versions available. I'm on Linux Mint 21.3 on an HP Z420
> > workstation using GCC 11.4.0, so nothing very strange or exotic.
>
> To help (for both the GnuCOBOL configure and the GMP test issue) it is
> useful to provide config.log of the matching system.
> So if you still have issues after using the rpath option please attach
> that as well.
> And if not: please drop a short feedback after your successful install :-)
>
> > Thanks
> > Colin
>
> Welcome again,
> Simon

Thanks Simon. I will try the above suggestions.

[Index of Archives]     [Gcc Help]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite Info]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]