Re: NFS HA

Is there a good document on NFSv4 best practice on a failover cluster?

Having "hard" mounting seems to allow failover to work for us.
I'd rather not though as we have VPN laptop client machines that we'd
rather didn't hang if the connection drops (maybe soft with a suitable
timeo and retrans options would be good for these boxes).

I want to turn up the security of my RHEL6 NFSv4 clusters to use
Kerberos auth. But I read somewhere (may have been in a Bugazilla), that
if you do this you can't have more than one NFS service running in the
cluster, which we quite like just now for load balancing between the
nodes.

The original NFS cluster cookbook, really helped me get this going, but
is from the RHEL4 era (so NFSv3 and not Kerberized). Or is there a new
one somewhere....

Thanks

Colin

On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 13:56 -0500, Dan Riley wrote:
> On the original question, you need to specify the fsid for the
> file system.  Otherwise you get an fsid that's derived in part
> from the device numbers, so different device numbers on the
> failover leads to a different fsid.
>
> wrt NFS over UDP, it isn't supported with NFSv4, and will lead to
> random hangs.  At least for us, NFSv4 is a big enough win that we
> gave up NFS over UDP.
>
> -dan

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original.