Re: Packet loss after configuring Ethernet bonding

On 11/09/2012 11:12 PM, Zama Ques wrote:
> [...]

Corosync is the only actively developed/supported (HA) cluster
communications and membership tool. It's used on all modern distros for
clustering and the requirement for mode=1 is with it. As such, it
doesn't matter which OS you are on, it's the only mode that will work
(reliably).

The problem is that corosync needs to detect state changes quickly. It
does this using the totem protocol (which serves other purposes), which
passes a token around the nodes in the cluster. If a node is sent a
token and the token is not returned within a time-out period, it is
declared lost and a new token is dispatched. Once too many failures
occur in a row, the node is declared lost and it is ejected from the
cluster. This process is detailed in the link above under the "Concept;
Fencing" section.

With all modes other than mode=1, the failure recovery and/or the
restoration of a link in the bond causes a sufficient disruption to
cause a node to be declared lost. As I mentioned, this matches my
experience in testing the other modes. It isn't an arbitrary rule.

As for non-clustered traffic; the usefulness of other bond modes depends
entirely on the traffic you are pushing over it. Personally, I am
focused on HA in clusters, so I only use mode=1, regardless of the
traffic designed for it.

digimer

ps - You will see reference to "heartbeat" as a comms layer in
clustering. It's been deprecated and should not be used. Likewise,
pacemaker is the future of clustering, so it should be to resource
manager you learn/use.

--
Digimer
access to education?