Re: Networking guidelines for RHCS across datacenters

Hello,

We are in the same setup, already doing "Geo-cluster" with other technos and we are looking at RHCS to provide us the same service level.

Latency could be a problem indeed if too high , but in a lot of cases (many companies for which I've worked), datacenters are a few tens of kilometers far, with a latency max close to 1 ms, which is not a problem.

Let's consider this kind of setup, 2 datacenters far from each other by 1 ms delay, each hosting a SAN array, each of them connected to 2 SAN fabrics extended between the 2 sites.

What reason would prevent us from building Geo-clusters without having to rely on a database replication mechanism, as the setup I would like to implement would also be used to provide NFS services that are disaster recovery proof.

Obviously, such setup should rely on LVM mirroring to allow a node hosting a service to be able to write to both local and distant SAN LUN's.

Brem

2009/6/3, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Jon Schulz
<jschulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm in the process of doing a concept review with the redhat cluster suite.
> I've been given a requirement that cluster nodes are able to be located in
> geographically separated data centers. I realize that this is not an ideal
> scenario due to latency issues.

For most purposes, RHCS would require that all nodes have access to
the same storage/disk. That pretty much ruled out the DR  feature that
one might expect to get from having nodes in geographically separated
data centers.

I'd suggest you refine your requirements. Perhaps what you need is
something like MySQL cluster replication, where there are two
geographically separated data centers, each having its own cluster,
and the two clusters replicate each other's data asynchronously.

--
Fajar