Re: OCFS2 and SAN MultiPath I/O

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 06:23:17PM -0300, Flavio Junior wrote:
>> >
>> >        Aha!  That would do it.

>> >        Good, glad it worked.

>> >        Please do so.  Also, as a question, what version of ocfs2 are
>> > you running?  Is this a production environment?
>>
>> Hi Joel, i'm using 1.4.1
>> [root@pinky ~]# ocfs2console --version
>> OCFS2Console version 1.4.1
>
>        The version of ocfs2console is not the same as the version of
> the ocfs2 driver.  Is this on EL?  What does 'rpm -qa | grep ocfs2' say?
> Or if it is mainline, what version of the mainline kernel?

Ok, I deserve that ;).
[root@cerebro ~]# rpm -qa | grep ocfs
ocfs2-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5-1.4.1-1.el5
ocfs2console-1.4.1-1.el5
ocfs2-tools-devel-1.4.1-1.el5
ocfs2-tools-1.4.1-1.el5

I'm using CentOS 5.3 with the last release from oss.oracle.com i've found.

PS: Just a ponit, to use o2cb init script with centos I need to
commend exit 1 line for lsb-functions check. Everything works fine,
maybe lsb-functions "script" isnt a fatal dependency.

>> Yes, i'm interested in use it at production. There is a flow of 4, 5k
>> mails by day with 300 maildir's.
>> What do you think about it? I was trying to use GFS2 but a simple ls
>> /home/* or sending a mail for everyone@xxxxxxxxxxxx hangs GFS2 or even
>> GFS (without tunning).
>
>        It most certainly will not hang ocfs2, but maildir might cause
> some speed concerns.  Indexed directories are only just landing in
> mainline ocfs2 - they are not in the production version.  So any
> directory with more than 1000 entries will be a little slow (just like
> ext3 without hcache).
>        It'll work - people are using it just fine.  But large mail dirs
> will be a little slow, so you should watch out for that.

OK, I can accept that. I'm using ext3 by now, so for some users this
can just "dont change". But I dont believe that have most users with
thousand mails per folder. Probably just a bit, not something to
really worry now.

Really thanks for info :).

--

Flávio do Carmo Júnior aka waKKu