Re: RHCS4 rgmanager/clurmgrd problem

this has been covered, previously, but in brief:

a) the cluster services try to stop a service before starting it when you enable it b) it expects the "/etc/init.d/service stop" command to return 0, indicating that there was no problem c) many of the stock service scripts return non-zero if you try to stop them when they're not running

depending on your point of view, (c) is the "correct" behavior or not; in the case of cluster services, it's obviously not. For the purposes of cluster services, the script should only return non-zero on the 'stop' command if the service was, in fact, running, and the script failed to stop it. A better solution than simply returning 0 braindeadly would be to check the output of the script's 'status' command, and only attempt the stop if it's actually running, then return non-zero if the stop fails, 0 (success) if the stop succeeds OR it wasn't running in the first place. But that's a lot of work. ;-)

-g

Philip R. Dana wrote:
I found a work around. Like the gentleman with the mysql service problem
a while back, I edited /etc/init.d/named on both nodes such than named
stop returns 0, even though named is already stopped. I'm not smart
enough, yet, to figure out why that works, but it does.