Re: VSZ from cgroup interfaces

Hi Michal,
Thanks for your reply :)

> Virtual memory is a per-process resource (if you consider it a resource
> at all and if I understood what you mean by vsz).

Well, I understand it is a per-process resource as any other field you
can check in /sys/fs/cgroup/../memory.stat.
The concept I assume for VSZ is the same as read in VmSize field from
/proc/self/status, the virtual memory address space size of the
process.

> It is not well defined what would it mean if you summed up VSZ of all processes in a cgroup
> (vsz of one process is not exclusive to another process's vsz).

Can you develop on why you say vsz of one process is not exclusive to
another's vsz?
Technically, the sum of all VSZ would give an estimation of how much
memory a set of processes might try to use. I think that's the same
idea of VSZ for a single process but just for a set of processes.
This could be useful to detect memleaks on a program before they
happen when you see a huge VSZ.

> So my answer is that doesn't make sense to account VSZ via cgroups.

By the same rule, why does it make sense then to account for VSZ via /proc?

Thanks
Felip

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]