Re: clarification about misc controller and capacity vs. max

On Tue, 2022-11-01 at 06:54 -1000, tj@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 04:40:22PM +0000, Accardi, Kristen C wrote:
> > I notice in the comments for the misc controller it is stated that
> > the
> > max limit can be more than actual total capacity, meaning that we
> > can
> > overcommit with the resource controlled by the misc controller.
> > However, in the misc_cg_try_charge() code, the function will return
> > -
> > EBUSY if max limit will be crossed or total usage will be more than
> > the
> > capacity, which would seem to enforce total capacity as an upper
> > limit
> > in addition to max and not allow for overcommit. Can you provide
> > some
> > clarity on whether the resource consumption model for the misc
> > controller should allow for overcommit?
>
> I think what it's trying to say is that the sum of first level .max's
> can be
> higher than the total capacity. e.g. Let's say you have 5 of this
> resource
> and a hierarchy like the following.
>
>         R - A - A'
>           + B - B'
>           \ C
>
> It's valid to have A, B, C's max set to 4, 3, 2 respectively even if
> they
> sum up to 9 which is larger than what's available in the system, 5 -
> ie. the
> max limits are overcommitted for the resource.
>
> Thanks.

So to be clear, if I have this:

/sys/fs/cgroup/misc.capacity
some_res 10

and this:
/sys/fs/cgroup/test

test.current will never be allowed to exceed 10.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]