Re: How to throttle all the IO going to disk with cgroup V2

Hello, Vivek.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 02:02:04PM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > Now sane_behavior flag is gone and V2 does not allow configure limits
> > for root cgroup. So looks like we lost that capability now. Am I missing
> > something. Is there a way to still enable it.
> So we effectively dropped that third mode where sane_behavior could be
> used on legacy hierarchy and get hierarchical throttling(Including
> throttling root cgroup).
>
> Is there any chance that throttling whole device could be supported. Or this
> is a use case we don't want to support going forward.

So, it's just super weird to implement system-wide control in the root
cgroup cuz system-wide features don't have any reason to be in cgroup
at all.  Unless it's sth specific to cgroups, the interface has to be
outside of cgroup so that it can be used whether cgroups is configured
or mounted (depending on dependency, I guess, the former might not be
possible).

For io.max, it's a bit weird cuz it is a cgroup only feature but I
think it'd probably be better to introduce a separate system level
interface for consistency's sake.  Not sure where would be the best.
Somewhere in sys or proc, I guess, or even dynamic module param?
Would sth like that be too ugly?

Thanks.

--
tejun