Re: Influencing the osd.id when creating or replacing an osd

On Mon, Oct 28, 2024 at 9:22 AM Anthony D'Atri <anthony.datri@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > Yes, but it's irritating. Ideally, I'd like my OSD IDs and hostnames to
> track so that if a server going pong I can find it and fix it ASAP
>
> `ceph osd tree down` etc. (including alertmanager rules and Grafana
> panels) arguably make that faster and easier than everyone having to
> memorize OSD numbers, especially as the clusters grow.
>
> > But it doesn't take much maintenance to break that scheme and the only
> thing more painful than renaming a Ceph host is re-numbering an OSD.
>
> Yep!
>
> >> My advice: Do not try to manually number your OSDs.
>
> This.  I’ve been there myself, but it’s truly a sisyphean goal.
>
> As compared to Nautilus, at least the Reef Dashboard has a 'Physical
Devices' page and a Devices tab on the Hosts page that should make it
easier to know which OSD is on which host.  That plus 'ipmitool chassis
identify' and other such tools should make it easy to track down the
correct box and drive bay.

However, it would be nice to have something like 'ceph osd location {id}'
from the command line.  If such exists, I haven't seen it.