Re: Discovery (port 8765) service not starting

While I generally don't recommend getting down and dirty with the
containers in Ceph, if you're going to build your own, well, that's
different.

When I have a container and the expected port isn't listening, the
first thing I do is see if it's really listening and internal-only or
truly not listening.

To do this, you can dial in to the container, like so (this is one of
my OSD's)

docker exec -it ceph-272fcd86-0831-11ee-a7df-9c5c8e84cf8f-osd-7
/bin/bash

The netstat command is not available in the stock Ceph containers, but
the "ss" command is, so use that to see if there is in fact a process
listening on that port.

If so, then your Dockerfile is probably not set to publish that port.
Are you using the stock Dockerfile to build from?

If not, then the process that listens apparently didn't come all the
way up.

Take a quick peek around the local /var/log directory just to see if
there's anything logged internally (probably not). Maybe do a "dmesg"
just for laughs.

Since this is (so I read it), the Prometheus container, look at the
/var/lib/ceph/<fsid>/prometheus.<hostname> directory, which contains
the Prometheus config file (under "./etc) and see if there are
irregularities there.

   Tim