Re: ceph-ansible installation error

Those are reasonable objections, although some are now dated. In the context of Ceph some of those issues are also further addressed by Ceph itself. So let me present my take.

1. Networking. You can set up some gnarly virtual networks in both container and cloud systems, it's true. Docker has changed some of its original rules as well but more on that in a bit. In my non-ceph containers I've simply used host networking, which has its drawbacks but it's simple and it's all I require.

2. Logs in containerized ceph almost all go straight to the system journal. Specialized subsystems such as Prometheus can be configured in other ways, but everything's filed under /var/lib/ceph/<fsid>/<subsystem> so there's relatively little confusion.

3. I don't understand this, as I never stop all services just to play with firewalls. RHEL 8+ support firewall-cmd and you can can open ceph up with --add-service ceph, -add-service ceph-mon. Make them --permanent and do a --reload and it's all done.

4. Ceph knows exactly the names and locations of its containers (NOTE: a "package" is NOT a "container"). Within Ceph, almost all services actually employ the same container, just with different invocation options. You don't talk to "Docker*" directly, though, as systemd handles that.

5. I've never encountered this, so I can say nothing. But I run containers for about 6 different build base systems 24x7.

6. As I said, Ceph does almost everything via cephadm or ceph orch when running in containers, which actually means you need to learn less. Administration of ceph itself, is, again, done via systemd.

*Docker. As I've said elsewhere, Red Hat prefers Podman to Docker these days and even if you install Docker, there's a Podman transparency feature. Now if you really want networking headaches, run Podman containers rootless. I've learned how to account for the differences but Ceph, fortunately hasn't gone that route so far. Nor have they instituted private networks for Ceph internal controls.