Re: Reef 18.2.4 EL8 packages ?

Hi,

> On 25 Jul 2024, at 14:39, Noe P. <ml@am-rand.berlin> wrote:
>
> I find this 18.2.4 release highly confusing.
>
> Can anyone please confirm that EL8 packages are no more supported ?
> The small remark in the release notes
>
>  qa/distros: remove centos 8 from supported distros (pr#57932, Guillaume Abrioux, Casey Bodley, Adam King, Laura Flores)
>
> is a bit disturbing, in particular between two minor releases.
> If yes, is the reason the missing support for EL8 distro kernels ?
>
> We could build the packages locally, but there is no v18.2.4 tag in git.

I do not think that's possible. Then in the current situation

* if you deployed a Reef on a distribution that initially suited you when planning the cluster (CentOS-Stream 8 + Reef), you must resetup all hosts to CentOS-Stream 9. Yes, in the middle of the year. Right now (ha-ha)
* if you are trying to update from a previous release: Pacific to Reef, then first you need to upgrade to 18.2.2, which is very buggy. Somehow live with bugs (ha-ha-ha). And now perform a resetup of all hosts

This has never happened before - stop packaging in the middle of even release cycle (this not the 13, 15, 17 release, where everything is possible). I hope common sense, between the distributions on which testing is carried out, and the distributions for which packages are assembled (why shouldn’t they be assembled if just a few months ago they were assembled perfectly on the same package base) - these are different things

Otherwise, we need Zac to correct the information listed in the ABC matrix here [1]

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/start/os-recommendations/#platforms