Re: Help with Mirroring

> I would like to use mirroring to facilitate migrating from an existing
> Nautilus cluster to a new cluster running Reef.  RIght now I'm looking at
> RBD mirroring.  I have studied the RBD Mirroring section of the
> documentation, but it is unclear to me which commands need to be issued on
> each cluster and, for commands that have both clusters as arguments, when
> to specify site-a where vs. site-b.

I won’t go into the nitty-gritty, but note that you’ll likely run the rbd-mirror daemon on the destination cluster, and it will need reachability to all of the source cluster’s mons and OSDs.  Maybe mgrs, not sure.

> Another concern:  Both the old and new cluster internally have the default
> name 'Ceph' - when I set up the second cluster I saw no obvious reason to
> change from the default.  If these will cause a problem with mirroring, is
> there a workaround?

The docs used to imply that the clusters need to have distinct vanity names, but that was never actually the case — and vanity names are no longer supported for clusters.

The ceph.conf files for both clusters need to be distinct and present on the system where rbd-mirror runs.  You can do this by putting them in different subdirectories or calling them like cephsource.conf and cephdest.conf.  The filenames are arbitrary, you’ll just have to specify them when setting up rbd-mirror peers.

> In the long run I will also be migrating a bunch of RGW data.  If there are
> advantages to using mirroring for this I'd be glad to know.

Whole different ballgame.  You can use multisite or rclone or the new Clyso “Chorus” tool for that.

> (BTW, the plan is to gradually decommission the systems from the old
> cluster and add them to the new cluster.  In this context, I am looking to
> enable and disable mirroring on specific RBD images and RGW buckets as the
> client workload is migrated from accessing the old cluster to accessing the
> new.

I’ve migrated thousands of RBD volumes between clusters this way.  It gets a bit tricky if a volume is currently attached.