Re: [RFC][UADK integration][Acceleration of zlib compressor]

On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 10:42 PM Rongqi Sun <rongqi.sun777@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ceph community,

Hi Rongqi,

Thanks for proposing this and for attending CDM to discuss it
yesterday. I see we have received some good feedback in the PR and
it's awaiting some suggested changes. I think this will be a useful
and performant addition to the code base and encourage its inclusion.

> UADK is an open source accelerator framework, the kernel support part is
> UACCE <https://docs.kernel.org/misc-devices/uacce.html>, which has been
> merged in Kernel for several years, targeting to provide Shared Virtual
> Addressing (SVA) between accelerators and processes. UADK provider users
> with a unified programming interface to efficiently harness the
> capabilities of hardware accelerators. It furnishes users with fundamental
> library and driver support. Now UADK can offer the hardware accelerator
> engine(e.g: Kunpeng KAE), Arm SVE and Crypto Extension CPU. UADK
> <https://github.com/Linaro/uadk> is hosted by Linaro.
>
> UADK now has already supports different communities for compressor and
> encryption, such as OpenSSL, DPDK and SPDK, so now, we would like to bring
> it to Ceph for Acceleration of  zlib compressor. As first step, we can see
> that,
>
>    1. save almost 50% cpu usage compared with no-isal compression in RBD 4M
>    workload
>    2. save almost 40% cpu usage compared with no-isal compression in RGW
>    put op (4M) workload
>
> The PR <https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/58336> is under review, welcome
> any comments or reviews.
>
> Have a nice day~