Re: Repurposing some Dell R750s for Ceph

Hi,

>I don't think the motherboard has enough PCIe lanes to natively connect all the drives: the RAID controller effectively functioned as a expander, so you needed less PCIe lanes on the motherboard.
>As the quickest way forward: look for passthrough / single-disk / RAID0 options, in that order, in the controller management tools (perccli etc).
>I haven't used the N variant at all, and since it's NVME presented as SCSI/SAS, I don't want to trust the solution of reflashing the controller for IT (passthrough) mode.

Reviewing the diagrams of the system with the H755N and without the H755N it looks like the PCIe lanes are limited by the cables they use when you order them with these RAID controllers.  (which I guess is why in order to put 16x drives in a system you need two controllers). It looks like

As far as passthrough RAID0 disks, etc I was told that is not a valid configuration and wouldn't be supported.

Thanks for the information.
-Drew