Off-Site monitor node over VPN

Hi!

i hope someone can help us out here :)

We need to move from 3 datacenters to 2 datacenters (+ 1 small serverroom reachable via layer 3 VPN)

NOW we have a ceph-mon in each datacenter, which is fine. But we have to move and will only have 2 datacenters in the future (that are connected, so devices that are separated geographically can still communicate over their VLANs that they are used to have)

in order to still have 3 - to continue being quorate - we have the idea to only move 1 ceph-mon into a small separate datacenter. we only are able to connect it via VPN though and we'd need a separate IP network and the traffic would be over a Firewall and over VPN.

having a separate IP network should work, as mentioned here:

2.1.1.2<https://2.1.1.2/> Monitoring nodes on different subnets

https://documentation.suse.com/ses/7/html/ses-all/storage-bp-hwreq.html

what could possibly go wrong here? can the added latency be a problem? which devices would need to be allowed to connect over VPN?

All OSDs < - vpn - > ceph-mon

thank you for any input!

Kind regards

Stefan

BearingPoint GmbH
Sitz: Wien
Firmenbuchgericht: Handelsgericht Wien
Firmenbuchnummer: FN 175524z

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.