Re: Unable to add new OSDs

Thanks for the help!

I wanted to give an update on the resolution to the issues I was
having. I didn't realize that I had created several competing OSD
specifications via dashboard . By cleaning that up, OSD creation now is
working as expected.

-Mike

    c> I'm trying to add a new storage host into a Ceph cluster (quincy
    c> 17.2.6). The machine has boot drives, one free SSD and 10 HDDs. The
    c> plan is to have each HDD be an OSD with a DB on a equal size lvm of
    c> the SDD. This machine is newer but otherwise similar to other machines
    c> already in the cluster that are setup and running the same way. But
    c> I've been unable to add OSDs and unable to figure out why, or fix
    c> it. I have some experience, but I'm not an expert and could be missing
    c> something obvious. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate
    c> it.

    c> I've tried to add OSDs a couple different ways.

    c> Via the dashboard, this has worked fine for previous machines. And it
    c> appears to succeed and gives no errors that I can find looking in
    c> /var/log/ceph and dashboard logs. The OSDs are never created. In fact,
    c> the drives still show up as available in Physical Disks and I can do
    c> the same creation procedure repeatedly.

    c> I've tried creating it in cephadm shell with the following, which has also worked in the past:
    c> ceph orch daemon add osd
    c> stor04.fqdn:data_devices=/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd,/dev/sde,/dev/sdf,/dev/sdg,/dev/sdh,/dev/sdi,/dev/sdj,/dev/sdk,db_devices=/dev/sda,osds_per_device=1
    c> The command just hangs. Again I wasn't able to find any obvious
    c> errors. Although this one did seem to cause some slow op errors from
    c> the monitors that required restarting a monitor. And it could cause
    c> errors with the dashboard locking up and having to restart the manager
    c> as well.

    c> And I've tried setting 'ceph orch apply osd --all-available-devices
    c> --unmanaged=false' to let Ceph automatically add the drives. In the
    c> past, this would cause Ceph to automatically add the drives as OSDs
    c> but without having associated DBs on the SSD. The SSD would just be
    c> another OSD. This time it appears to have no affect and similar to the
    c> above, I wasn't able to find any obvious error feedback.

    c> -Mike

Michael Baer
ceph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx