Re: Reconstructing an OSD server when the boot OS is corrupted

Hey Peter,

the /var/lib/ceph directories mainly contain "meta data" that, depending
on the ceph version and osd setup, can even be residing on tmpfs by
default.

Even if the data was on-disk, they are easy to recreate:

[root@rook-ceph-osd-36-6876cdb479-4764r ceph-36]# ls -l
total 28
lrwxrwxrwx 1 ceph ceph  8 Feb  7 12:12 block -> /dev/sde
-rw------- 1 ceph ceph 37 Feb  7 12:12 ceph_fsid
-rw------- 1 ceph ceph 37 Feb  7 12:12 fsid
-rw------- 1 ceph ceph 56 Feb  7 12:12 keyring
-rw------- 1 ceph ceph  6 Feb  7 12:12 ready
-rw------- 1 ceph ceph  3 Feb  7 12:12 require_osd_release
-rw------- 1 ceph ceph 10 Feb  7 12:12 type
-rw------- 1 ceph ceph  3 Feb  7 12:12 whoami
[root@rook-ceph-osd-36-6876cdb479-4764r ceph-36]#

We used to create OSDs manually on alpine linux some years ago using
[0], you can check it out as an inspiration for what should be in which
file.

BR,

Nico

[0] https://code.ungleich.ch/ungleich-public/ungleich-tools/src/branch/master/ceph/ceph-osd-create-start-alpine