Re: Orchestrator not automating services / OSD issue

Hello Michael,

You can try this:

1/ check that the host shows up on ceph orch ls with the right label 'osds'
2/ check that the host is OK with ceph cephadm check-host <hostname>. It should look like:
<hostname> (None) ok
podman (/usr/bin/podman) version 4.6.1 is present
systemctl is present
lvcreate is present
Unit chronyd.service is enabled and running
Hostname "<hostname>" matches what is expected.
Host looks OK
3/ double check you service_type 'osd' with ceph orch ls --service-type osd --export
It should show the correct placement and spec (drives size, etc.)
4/ enable debugging with ceph config set mgr mgr/cephadm/log_to_cluster_level debug
5/ open a terminal and observe ceph -W cephadm --watch-debug
6/ ceph mgr fail
7/ ceph orch device ls --hostname=<hostname> --wide --refresh (should show local bloc devices as Available and trigger the creation of the OSDs)

If your service_type 'osd' is correct, the orchestrator should deploy OSDs on the node.
If it does not then look for the reason why in ceph -W cephadm --watch-debug output.

Regards,
Frédéric.