Orchestrator not automating services / OSD issue

Hi,

This problem started with trying to add a new storage server into a
quincy v17.2.6 ceph cluster. Whatever I did, I could not add the drives
on the new host as OSDs: via dashboard, via cephadm shell, by setting
osd unmanaged to false.

But what I started realizing is that orchestrator will also no longer
automatically manage services. I.e. if a service is set to manage by
labels, removing and adding labels to different hosts for that service
has no affect. Same if I set a service to be manage via hostnames. Same
if I try to drain a host (the services/podman containers just keep
running). Although, I am able to add/rm services via 'cephadm shell ceph
orch daemon add/rm'. But Ceph will not manage automatically using
labels/hostnames.

This apparently includes OSD daemons. I can not create and on the new
host either automatically or manually, but I'm hoping the services/OSD
issues are related and not two issues.

I haven't been able to find any obvious errors in /var/log/ceph,
/var/log/syslog, logs <container>, etc. I have been able to get 'slow
ops' errors on monitors by trying to add OSDs manually (and having to
restart the monitor). I've also gotten cephadm shell to hang. And had to
restart managers. I'm not an expert and it could be something obvious,
but I haven't been able to figure out a solution. If anyone has any
suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,
Mike

--
Michael Baer