Re: Why CEPH is better than other storage solutions?

Den tis 23 apr. 2024 kl 11:32 skrev Frédéric Nass
<frederic.nass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ceph is strongly consistent. Either you read/write objects/blocs/files with an insured strong consistency OR you don't. Worst thing you can expect from Ceph, as long as it's been properly designed, configured and operated is a temporary loss of access to the data.

This is often more important than you think. All centralized storage
systems will have to face some kind of latency when sending data over
the network, when splitting the data into replicas or erasure coding
shards, when waiting for all copies/shards are actually finished
written (perhaps via journals) to the final destination and then
lastly for the write to be acknowledged back to the writing client. If
some vendor says that "because of our special code, this part takes
zero time", they are basically telling you that they are lying about
the status of the write in order to finish more quickly, because this
wins them contracts or wins competitions.

It will not win you any smiles when there is an incident and data that
was ACKed to be on disk suddenly isn't because some write cache lost
power at the same time as the storage box and now some database have
half-written transactions in it. Ceph is by no means the fastest
possible way to store data on a network, but it is very good while
still retaining the strong consistencies mentioned by Frederic above
allowing for many clients to do many IOs in parallel against the
cluster.