Re: Best practice and expected benefits of using separate WAL and DB devices with Bluestore

>Do you have any data on the reliability of QLC NVMe drives?

They were my job for a year, so yes, I do.  The published specs are accurate.  A QLC drive built from the same NAND as a TLC drive will have more capacity, but less endurance.  Depending on the model, you may wish to enable `bluestore_use_optimal_io_size_for_min_alloc_size` when creating your OSDs.  The Intel / Soldigim P5316, for example, has a 64KB IU size, so performance and endurance will benefit from aligning OSD `min_alloc_size` to that value.  Note that this is baked in at creation, you cannot change it on a given OSD after the fact, but you can redeploy the OSD and let it recover.

Other SKUs have 8KB or 16KB IU sizes, some have 4KB which requires no specific min_alloc_size.  Note that QLC is a good fit for workloads where writes tend to be sequential and reasonably large on average and infrequent.  I know of successful QLC RGW clusters that see 0.01 DWPD.  Yes, that decimal point is in the correct place.  Millions of 1KB files overwritten once an hour aren't a good workload for QLC. Backups, archives, even something like an OpenStack Glance pool are good fits.  I'm about to trial QLC as Prometheus LTS as well. Read-mostly workloads are good fits, as the read performance is in the ballpark of TLC.  Write performance is still going to be way better than any HDD, and you aren't stuck with legacy SATA slots.  You also don't have to buy or manage a fussy HBA.

> How old is your deep archive cluster, how many NVMes it has, and how many did you
> have to replace?

I don't personally have one at the moment.

Even with TLC, endurance is, dare I say, overrated.  99% of enterprise SSDs never burn more than 15% of their rated endurance.  SSDs from at least some manufacturers have a timed workload feature in firmware that will estimate drive lifetime when presented with a real-world workload -- this is based on observed PE cycles.

Pretty much any SSD will report lifetime used or remaining, so TLC, QLC, even MLC or SLC you should collect those metrics in your time-series DB and watch both for drives nearing EOL and their burn rates.